Umbrellas Street, Portugal.
@hollandroden: Yup. We have entered a different era of sadistic entertainment…
4.01 // 4.02
québécois is absolutely not some broken version of french, it’s extremely insulting when french people say that even as a joke. we could just as well call french french broken québécois, but we don’t, probably because we quebecers have internalized some negativity about our language and somehow, whether it’s consciously or subconsciously, see french french as default — the superior, “standard” version of our own language.
one argument i’ve seen an unacceptable number of times is that québécois is a “broken” language because québécois uses a fair number of unnecessary anglicisms. now, first of all, that’s extremely hypocritical because french french is itself full of loanwords from english. example off the top of my head: that thing that we call a “stationnement” in quebec, they call it a “parking.” and yet there’s this double standard in that whatever anglicisms are used in france are ok because french french is “standard,” but as soon as a quebecer uses an anglicism, it’s because our french is broken. funny how that works.
to answer your question of is québécois the same language as french, this is where opinions diverge. i don’t know. maybe it would be beneficial to start treating them as different languages simply because of the idea that québécois is some inferior, bastardized version of french instead of a valid dialect. however, they are mutually intelligible (obviously) and i don’t know how much sense it would make to treat them as separate. (on the other hand, fun fact! swedish and norwegian are considered different languages, but are close enough that there’s been debate over whether they should be considered dialects of a single language, while cantonese and mandarin are often considered dialects of a single language while not being mutually intelligible!) personally i wouldn’t mind having québécois be treated as independent of french, but i can’t give anything close to a professional opinion on whether that’s reasonable or practical.
anon this is like asking if American English is really English…
I went to La braderie de mode québécoise this afternoon and I bought so many cute things. Look at all the pretty earings!
Possibly the best GoT cast photo I’ve found yet.
1. Do you read fic? Do you write fic?
2. Favorite genre of fic?
3. Favorite fandom?
4. Favorite pairing?
5. Favorite fic author?
6. Favorite fic (or one of them)?
7. One-shots or longfic?
8. Do you read WIPs?
9. What is the longest fic you’ve read?
10. Favorite trope/element/scenario in fic?
11. Least favorite trope/element/scenario?
12. What turns you away the most from a fic?
13. Has a fic ever made you cry?
14. What tropes/elements/scenarios get you the worst?
15. Do you mind when characters cry?
16. How do you feel about character death in fic?
17. Any characters who you can’t stand to see in pain?
18. Favorite angst fic?
19. Do you read porn or does it make you uncomfortable?
20. Do you like PWPs?
21. How and when did you get introduced to smut fic? Any horror stories?
22. Biggest turn-ons in fic?
23. Biggest turn-offs in fic?
24. Do you have any dirty kinks that you’re ashamed of?
25. Any kinks that you’d love to try in real life?
26. Any kinks that you don’t want to try in real life (but are still hot in a fanfic)?
27. Rough sex or gentle sex?
28. How do you feel about masturbation in fic?
29. How do you feel about non-con and dub-con?
30. Favorite porn fic?
31. Do you read AUs?
32. Favorite AU tropes?
33. Least favorite AU tropes?
34. Do you like UAs (universe-alterations, when the main universe and characters are the same but one plot point/decision/outcome is altered)?
35. Do you like high school and college AUs?
36. Do you like crossovers? If so, favorite crossover?
37. How do you feel about parent!fics/lovechildren? How about mpreg?
38. How do you feel about genderbending? De-aging? Animalizing?
39. Favorite AU fic?
40. Do you like fluff?
41. Favorite fluffy tropes?
42. Least favorite fluffy tropes?
43. Do you like fluff on its own or in conjunction with other elements (angst, sex, etc.)
44. How fluffy is too fluffy?
45. Favorite fluff fic?